Sunday, November 25, 2007

while watching the eagles and the pats 11/25


Hey buds, it's been a while, welcome if you're with me though I doubt it.
Since last I wrote here, Peyton was beat again by Brady coupla weeks ago I guess, other bigger things have happened to me than keeping track of quarterbacks. Like one of my cats got run over in the street in front of the house, but beyond all that, the worst thing was my momma died at age 89. To think I was unprepared for her leaving life as we know it, is the understatement of my life!
Whenever I had a round with my mother, she would end it with "You'll be sorry when I'm dead and gone and lying in my coffin!" Well, you know, she was so totally right about that, and about a lot of other things as well. Not anything about football, no, she wasn't into sports, only the sport of flirting and catching a man, my Daddy, so one day I will have to write a book about their WWII romance, their contact only by letters to the field where Dad tried hard to survive the killing fields of Normandy, Belgium, Germany all the way to the Czech border with the 90th Division. He and his battalion hit Utah Beach first, and of course, he always thought himself extremely lucky to have landed there instead of Omaha Beach. But even MORE LUCKY, though than that, he thought was finding my mother, an Army Nurse, a Lieutenant at that, before he got his orders for the invasion. Mom had invaded his heart at Sweetwater, Texas where they met before they even knew where or when he would disembark.
They didn't marry until the war was over. Well all that is a really long story, and with their beautiful pictures and their touching letters which I must gather one day to share with whoever values their kind of experience, chiefly myself, my daughter, even my older brother is a possible reader of such a historical romance.
So she was right about many things. One was "Don't chase the man," but she definitely chased Dad with her sparkly blue eyes the night she met him when she was actually with another guy. Another thing she would tell me oodles of times was, "God gave you a brain, so it's up to you to use it!" So here am I in New York, after having seen Kermit the Frog in the Macys' Thanksgiving Day parade, Kermit who helped me raise my daughter, now 33 and living in Brooklyn, we are sitting here on the couch with one of her roommates watching the Pats and the Eagles. I am using my brain tonight to stay awake for the early flight back home to Florida and will miss my girl terribly, but to see her so content and sharing her interest in sports with her roommate, it is a relief for my brain just to know this, to hear them laugh at my remark that, "Wow, Brady's balls are so hard, it must hurt just to catch them!"
It makes me glad I have made this trip up here for Thanksgiving and my birthday, so much better than staying home alone with the dogs. So this year was a difficult one, but there is more to life than worrying about Peyton Manning, female surgery, and death in the family. Far more important to me is to keep humor and practice love for what is left of our little family.
People who can laugh with you, at you (she says my bangs now that I cut them look like Jim Carrey in Dumber and Dumber!) and watch the game with you, that makes a family for me! It makes life worth living even though there is so much else you wish wasn't there to deal with, but just to laugh and watch the game, astonished that the Pats perhaps might even lose, it makes it a great trip. I am usually called "a trip" myself, and it's a welcome change to not BE the trip, but to live and enjoy it with family!
So hope you had a Thanksgiving holiday that somehow resembled mine, with sports, good food, but best of all, someone in your family that could share it all with you. You never know, it may be the last time you are ever with them. So make it count!

No comments: